Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Meet Our MFAs

Kel McIntyre

1. Where have you lived?

I'm originally from Chicago but have been in South Florida since my parents dragged me here almost 30 years ago. I pretty much grew up in Miramar, and now I live in Davie.

2. What are some of your favorite places in Florida?

Since I'm not a spend-my-time-in-the-sun kind of girl, the places I like in Florida are pretty limited. Does the Wizarding World of Harry Potter count?

3. What does your writing space look like? 

My writing space looks like any place where my family isn't: My kitchen table when my kids aren't in the house or have gone to bed, Starbucks, my classroom during planning. When I'm in the middle of writing something that has to come out, I write wherever and whenever I can.

4. Are you a pen/pencil, typewriter, or computer writer?

I mostly write on my computer, but I really like to write with a pencil. Only if it's sharp, though--and never a pen.


5. When did you first realize you have a passion for writing?


I can't really remember ever not writing. When I was six, I locked myself in my bedroom for two days and wrote a "book" on astronomy, but I don't know if you'd call it a passion at that point. The first time I really remember writing something that I just had to write was when I was ten. I wrote a Sweet Valley High-style book that all the people in my sixth grade social studies class passed around and read when the teacher wasn't looking.


6. What's a book you've reread and why?

I've reread Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone a ridiculous amount of times. Every time a new movie came out, I started the series over from the beginning because I was afraid I'd forgotten something.

7. What advice do you have for a graduate student in his/her first semester?

Don't wait until a few days before a paper is due to start writing it. No good can come of it.
6

No comments:

Post a Comment