Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Meet Our MFAs

Risa Polansky

1. Where have you lived?

Broward County, Florida (various locations that, now fully grown (I hope), I can't really remember); Orlando, Florida; Centennial, Colorado; Gainesville, Florida; Miami Beach, Florida; Delray Beach, Florida.

2. What are some of your favorite places in Florida?

South Beach, Siesta Key

3. What does your writing space look like? 

A lot like my sleeping space ... I have a study with a real desk and  chair and bookcase and everything, but I find myself more inspired when relaxed (i.e. sitting in bed).  Pool and/or rooftop have also been hotspots for me lately.

4. Are you a pen/pencil, typewriter, or computer writer?

Computer unless I don't have access to one, in which case I take what I can get (a mini-golf pencil and a sales receipt, for instance).

5. When did you first realize you have a passion for writing?

I've wanted to be a writer ever since I learned to write.  Everyone says that, but I have proof: a kindergarten worksheet that states as clearly as anything written by a five-year-old can, "When I grow up, I'm going to be a writer."  Thanks, Little Risa ... no pressure or anything.  My "passion" at that time, if small children have passions, was creative writing (mostly short stories bound with plastic rings).  After a years-long detour into journalism (challenging, enlightening, fun, exhausting) I'm just now pursuing my childhood reams.  (thanks, FAU!)


6. What's a book you've reread and why?

Recently-ish... The History of Love by Nicole Krauss because it is, well, magic.

7. What advice do you have for a graduate student in his/her first semester?

Resist the urge to be utterly intimidated and don't underestimate your own abilities..
6

No comments:

Post a Comment